I have had the privilege to call many places home over my life. I was born in Hawaii. Spent my childhood years in New York, Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. Attended high school in Scotland and went to college in Florida. In 1998 I settled northwest of Atlanta with my wife Heather and now two sons, Chad and Chase.
In 1999 I started InternetSafety.com which went on to produce the top-rated Parental Control product on the market before being acquired by McAfee at the end of 2010. This has allowed my family and I to pursue our passion for traveling – from boating in Belize, to laying on the beach in Jamaica, to skiing in Whistler we have been able to experience more of our world than the typical family.
- Disney’s Dopey Challenge Finisher (2015)
- American Sailing Association Certifications: 101, 103, 104 & 114 (2014)
- Open Water Scuba Certified (2013)
- NYC Marathon Finisher (2010)
- 10-time Peachtree Road Race Finisher (2009 – 2018)
- 2-time Murph Finisher (2017 & 2018)
- Ragnar Bourbon Chase (200+ mile relay race) Finisher (2018)
Me: Our passports arrived today, where should we use them first?
Chase: DISNEY WORLD
Dad, when are you going to start another business and sell it? ~ Chad
I am what people would probably call a serial entrepreneur. I started my first business when I was 13 and used the money I made to buy a scooter. In high school I ran a donation-based lawn mowing service that crushed the other high school competitor in the area.
In 1999, with my brother, I started InternetSafety.com. We built a parental product called Safe Eyes that was rated as the #1 product on the market. I learned a lot from the School of Hard Knocks in the 11 years that I ran that business. (See the My Story section for more on these lessons.) In 2010, McAfee acquired InternetSafety.com.
I enjoyed my time at McAfee. I learned a lot about how big companies work, and in many cases how they don’t work. In late 2012 McAfee laid off myself and the 20+ people that remained from the original InternetSafety.com team. It was a tough day when I turned the lights off for the final time on the business where I had turned the lights on originally.
I needed the kick in the pants though. It is easy to get comfortable in a big company. In November of 2014 I launched my next venture, FilterSnap. Going back into a startup has been more difficult than I had imagined, but it has been a lot of fun too. Stay tuned, I’m sure some great stories will come out of this next adventure as well.
- McAfee GM Award for work on annual user conference (2012)
- Safe Eyes – Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval (2011)
- InternetSafety acquired by McAfee (2010)
- Safe Eyes – Editor’s Choice, LAPTOP Magazine (2008)
- Safe Eyes – Editor’s Choice, PC Magazine (2006 & 2007)
- Safe Eyes – Rated #1 by Consumer Reports (2005)